Saturday, January 18, 2014

Light & Fluffy Paleo Waffles

So I realized that I haven't done a new breakfast recipe in a long time, so I was definitely in need of one!  In reality, I was just majorly craving breakfast food the other day (along with every other pregnancy craving in the universe), and actually made these for dinner!  As you may know, breakfast for dinner (brinner) is a favorite in my house.  I decided I FINALLY needed to try Paleo waffles- can you believe we haven't made these yet?? Considering how much we love waffles, it's kind of ridiculous.  Anyway, I found a recipe that looked easy enough and tried it out.  These are awesome.  Super light and fluffy, and I love the hint of almond taste.  If you want Paleo waffles, I am not sure you can do better than this!  Here is what I did:

Light & Fluffy Paleo Waffles
(makes 2 large waffles)
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1/4 c almond milk
  • 1 c almond flour
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 t vanilla*
  • 1 t maple syrup*
  • 2 T coconut oil, melted
*if you want to make savory waffles, omit the sweet stuff and use other herbs/spices instead
Preparation
Preheat waffle iron.  Separate the eggs, putting the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another.  Add the almond milk to the egg yolks and whisk together.  Add almond flour and salt, and combine well.  Stir in the melted coconut oil, then the vanilla and syrup. 
In your other bowl, beat the egg whites until they form moist, stiff peaks.  I used my hand mixer for this.  Fold about 1/4 of the egg whites into batter.  Fold remaining egg whites into the batter a scoop at a time, until all the batter is mixed but still light and fluffy. 

Pour half the batter onto a preheated and greased waffle iron.  Close the lid and bake until golden brown.  Repeat with the rest of the batter, and you are done!
I served these with scrambled eggs and bacon, and of course poured some nice maple syrup over top.  They were amazing!  Seriously, try these out for yourself, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment