Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Freezing Your Herbs

This idea is courtesy of Pinterest, of course. I have seen a bunch of pins about freezing your herbs for future use, so why not try it out?  I love to use fresh herbs, but they often end up going bad because I don't use them up fast enough. So this seemed like a good solution!  I read that you can do this with a bunch of different herbs, but the sturdy ones are best (thyme, rosemary, etc), but I haven't tried them all out yet.  I happened to have a bunch of fresh thyme on hand, so I tried it out with that.  This was easy, just a bit time consuming at first, but I am sure it will be worth it to save these herbs!  Here is what I did:

Preparation
Grab your herbs of choice, and chop them/stem them/whatever you need to do.  I took the thyme off the stem and chopped them up.  Place about 1 t into each ice cube square.  Fill the rest of the way with olive oil, like this:
Freeze the tray for a few hours, until the oil is completely solid.  Once it is totally frozen, you can remove the cubes. I admit, my tray was probably not the best for this project, and I had to use a knife to kind of wedge the cubes out.  They might pop out better if you have a better tray, or maybe since they are oil-based, they won't.  Try and see!  Store your herb cubes in a Ziploc in the freezer until needed!
I am excited about this new technique- now I can just pop these into whatever dish I am making that needs thyme.  Once I try this with other herbs, I'll share my results.  Try it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment