Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Paleo Bacon Jam

I think most people know by now that I love bacon.  Who doesn't??  So I am always looking for new ways to incorporate bacon into my cooking.  Well the other day I was flipping through a magazine (I know, who reads magazines anymore when we have Pinterest??), and I came across an idea that looked delicious.  The recipe is for a bacon jam that can be used on really anything, but particularly with the BLT-Style Grilled Chicken that I made with it.  This jam took about 45 minutes overall to put together, but it is super delicious and should last in the fridge for a while.  Here is what I did:

Paleo Bacon Jam
(makes about 2 cups)
  •  6 slices bacon
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 c raw honey
  • 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c orange juice (make sure it is pure)
  • 1 t fresh ginger, grated
  • 1/2 t crushed red pepper

Preparation
In a large skillet, cook bacon until browned and crispy. Remove the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate but leave the drippings in the pan.  Chop the bacon into small bits.  Over medium heat, add the onions and garlic to the bacon grease and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.  Stir in the honey, vinegar, orange juice, and ginger.  Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in the bacon bits and red pepper.  Serve right away or store in an airtight container in the fridge.

This is a great addition to a meal- you can marinade meat in this, or just serve it over top.  Regardless, it is always nice to have some more bacon in your life!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment