Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sweet Potato Crispy Crunchies

Like many of my recipes, I think I found the idea for this one on Pinterest.  I spend so much time on Pinterest though, who can even remember what is what??  I'm starting to think that I need the school year to start soon so I don't waste so much of my life on Pinterest anymore!  Anyway, I love this because they are super versatile.  You know those fried onion straws that you can top steaks and salads with at steakhouses?  These actually taste a lot like those, but obviously MUCH healthier.  Oh, and they are super easy to make.  Here is what I did:


Sweet Potato Crispy Crunchies
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 t sea salt
  • optional: any other spices you want

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Use a julienne peeler (my favorite new tool) to slice up the potato into matchstick-like slices.  If you don't have this tool, go buy one, OR you can just cut the potato with a knife.  Just be sure to get super thin little slices. Place slices to a bowl and add in the olive oil and salt. Stir it all around until coated, then spread the slices onto a baking sheet/roasting pan.  Try to spread them out as evenly as possible.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes, but be sure to take them out and stir/toss them around every 10 minutes or so.  By about 30 minutes they should start to get crispy.  Remove them from the oven and allow them to sit for a few minutes (they will continue to cook). Take out any black charred pieces.

They should look like those yummy fried onion straws, but will taste sweeter and of course are healthier.  They are best when you use them right away,  but you can store leftovers in a sealed bag/container in the fridge.  I used these as a topper for tilapia, and I have topped spinach salad with them as well.  My husband has accused me of being obsessed with sweet potatoes, since I have been using these a lot lately, but they are a great addition to so many meals!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment