Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Paleo Mexican Meatloaf

Another Pinterest-inspired meal. Are you getting tired of hearing that??  This is my life during the summer!  Anyway I saw this idea and was like, why have I never thought of this??  The idea of making meatloaf using different flavor profiles is just genius.  If you are making a ground beef-based meal anyway, why not make it in meatloaf form?  My mind is blown.  Anyway, the original recipe I based this on is already fairly "clean" and healthy, but I did adjust it a bit to be Paleo.  The one thing I will admit though, is that I did use some cheese.  I know!  Dairy is not cool! But I really wanted some, and I went easy!  But if you are better at Paleo than I am, just leave it out.  (Of course it tastes better WITH, but what can you do??).  Overall, this was really tasty and a nice change from typical Mexican meals.  Here is what I did:

Paleo Mexican Meatloaf
(serves 3-4)
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c chunky salsa (make sure it is all natural)
  • 3-4 T taco seasoning
  • 1/2 c almond flour
  • optional: 1/4 c grated cheddar cheese
  • toppings: chopped lettuce/spinach, tomatoes, olives, guacamole
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degree.  In a large bowl, combine egg, ground beef, taco seasoning, almond flour and salsa until combined.  Press the mixture into a loaf/bread pan.  Bake for about 30 minutes, until cooked through.  If you are using cheese, sprinkle it on top before baking the last 5 minutes. 

Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes.  Serve topped with your favorite taco toppings, like lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and guacamole.


This was a really fun way to do Mexican food, and I would definitely recommend you try it out!  And remember, if you want it to taste great and stay Paleo, leave out the cheese.  If you want it to taste AWESOME but cheat a little bit, add the cheese.  But as always, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment