Friday, July 19, 2013

Paleo Chocolate Sauce

Okay, so I know that ice cream is not Paleo-friendly.  At least, store bought ice cream isn't. But the other day was my husband and my wedding anniversary, and I decided it was okay to splurge a little to celebrate.  So I bought some ice cream, but I decided to make my own chocolate sauce that would be Paleo-friendly!  This recipe was really easy and makes enough that we can save it in the fridge for future use. In my opinion, this tastes just like Hershey's syrup, but it is all-natural and healthier!  If you don't want to cheat and eat ice cream like us, you can make your own frozen Paleo treats like frozen bananas, or even use this as a topping on other Paleo desserts.  Here is what I did:

Paleo Chocolate Sauce
  • 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 c water
  • 1/2 c pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
  • dash of sea salt
  • 1 t vanilla
Preparation
In a small or medium saucepan, whisk the cocoa powder and water together over medium-high heat until boiling.  Reduce the heat to medium and add the maple syrup, sea salt, and vanilla.  Whisk together until boiling, then allow it to simmer for another 4-5 minutes to thicken up some, stirring often.  Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.  Transfer into a jar or container and refrigerate. Should stay fresh for up to 4 weeks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment