Thursday, February 21, 2013

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

We are obsessed with chocolate chip cookies in this house.  Like, we pretty much have homemade cookies in our kitchen at all times.  I know, that is kind of ridiculous, but we love them!  So my husband has been a little desperate for me to try out a Paleo recipe so we can get cookies back in our lives! There are a million versions of Paleo chocolate chip cookies out there, but this one seemed the most doable.  So I went for it.  Overall, they turned out well.  They taste delicious!  They were just a bit messy when trying to get them off the cookie sheet... okay actually really messy... but don't worry, I've included some suggestions for how to limit the mess and just get great cookies!  I can't wait for the hubby to try them. Here's the recipe:

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
(made 2 dozen)
  • 1 cup almond butter
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used regular old dark chocolate chips which isn't 100% Paleo I know- most recipes call for these Enjoy Life chips which I guess are the best to use.  Maybe one day I'll get that hard core...)
Preparation
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cookie sheet with parchment if you have it (it's a good idea to...).  Combine all the ingredients except the chips until mixed thoroughly.  Mix/fold in the chocolate chips.  Use a spoon or a cookie scoop to drop the batter onto the cookie sheet.  I found it best to use about 1 T worth of batter for each one- smaller cookies will be easier to manage at the end.  Keep them about 2 inches apart too, just in case they spread. Bake for 10 min until they are slightly firm and turning brown.  IMPORTANT: Let them cool for another 10-20 minutes on the cookie sheet. If you don't, they will make a huge mess.  Once they are removable, allow them to finish cooling on a cookie rack. Enjoy them while they are warm and gooey, or seal them in a container.

Important Notes
Like I have hinted, these can become a huge mess.  They are super gooey/chewy which is great, but will be messy when removing them from the cookie sheet.  Here are some ways that this might become less messy:
-let them cool ON the sheet for 20 or more minutes- the longer the better
-carefully loosen them with a spatula, and then flip the cookies upside down to cool- this sounds weird, but the bottoms/undersides will be gooey and will drip all over the cooling rack unless they are flipped over
-use parchment- I didn't because I have nonstick cookie sheets but I wish I had... have I mentioned they are super gooey??
-make sure you bake them for at least 10 minutes- if you don't they will likely turn into gooey messes

Well I hope I haven't scared you off from making these!  They really do taste GREAT and they are really chewy and yummy once they have cooled.  I will probably be trying other recipes (maybe if they include flour, I won't have this problem...), and I'll keep you all posted on the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment