Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Paleo Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli

Another night without water-usage means another meal that needs little-to-no-clean up!  (Are you getting sick of hearing about it?  Because I am sick of living it..)  I decided to use my slow cooker, since I recently bought liners that make it so easy to clean.  Literally you just throw the liner away and that's it!  Just what I needed.  I kind of made up this recipe (based on Chinese take-out), and I wouldn't say I nailed it exactly right on the first try.  It was delicious, but I don't know if the "beef" part was cooked properly... I will have to try again with another method, so stay tuned.  But for now, here is what I did:

Paleo Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli
(serves 3-4)
  • 3/4 lb flank steak (or top round, etc), cubed or sliced- I did mine in cubes/chunks but for a flank steak, I think it would be better to use thin slices... it's at your discretion
  • 1/2 c tamari sauce
  • 1 T rice wine vinegar
  • 1 T honey
  • 1 T grated fresh ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 head broccoli, chopped into smaller chunks
  • 1 can water chestnuts (this is totally optional but I liked the added crunch... no idea if they are truly "Paleo" but oh well)
Preparation
In a small bowl, combine tamari, vinegar, and honey.  Throw the beef chunks/slices into the slow cooker (line it for easy cleanup!), and pour the sauce over top.  Grate the ginger over top and toss in the minced garlic.  Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 (I did mine on high since I was pressed for time).  When you are about 30-45 minutes out from serving, add the broccoli and water chestnuts and give it a stir.  Serve with cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash (we ate ours with spaghetti squash).


Like I said, this wasn't the best meal I've ever eaten, but it was definitely Paleo-friendly and tasted really good.  I would recommend either using a different type of beef, or cutting a flank/skirt steak into slices before putting it in the slow cooker.  It will likely make for more tender and juicier meat.  The way I did it left us with meat that was a tad dry, but still flavorful.  Regardless, give it a try and hopefully yours will turn out great!


No comments:

Post a Comment