Friday, March 29, 2013

Paleo Apple Cinnamon Spiced Muffins

After I made my birthday dessert shortcakes the other day, I realized that I could transform that recipe into muffins for everyday consumption.  The shortcakes were a little dense and a bit plain (as shortcake usually is), so I decided to pump up the flavor, lighten them up, and turn them into muffins!  I would say it was a great success.  These taste delicious and will be a great treat for breakfast or a snack!  Here is what I did:

Paleo Apple Cinnamon Spiced Muffins
(makes 1 dozen)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c apple sauce
  • 1/4 c honey
  • 1/4 c melted coconut oil
  • 1 t lemon juice 
  • 1 t lemon zest
  • 2 1/2 c almond flour
  • 1/2 t sea salt
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t baking powder
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs and apple sauce.  Add honey, coconut oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest.  Once combined, add almond flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.  Mix until it is all well combined.

Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. DO NOT SKIP THIS.  I tried to make these the other day by just greasing the tin and they were super messy when I tried to remove them.  You should DEFINITELY use the liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.  Like this:


Serve these warm or keep them in a sealed container for later.  Just a tip- if you serve them warm, they may still be a little crumbly.  These need to cool before they will be more "glued" together.  Regardless, they will taste great even if they are a bit messy!  I am excited that I tried these out and I will definitely be doing it again.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment