Monday, March 4, 2013

Grilled Steak with Pineapple Salsa

I found this recipe while searching for Paleo meal options the other day.  We all know that I love making salsas and I love pineapple, so this looked perfect.  I decided to alter the recipe a bit, and make it my own based on what we like, and what I had in my kitchen.  For the steak marinade, I wanted to use the one that my family has used for years- a secret family recipe, if you will.  However, all 3 of the ingredients are NOT Paleo-friendly, which meant I had to make some substitutions.  It tasted a bit different, but still delicious.  And luckily, it was actually nice and warm out (55 degrees in March is a miracle here), so we even got to grill outside!  Check out what I did:

Grilled Steak with Pineapple Salsa
(served us 2 with leftovers)
  • 1 lb london broil steak (or flank steak)
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 T tamari sauce
  • 2 T honey
  • 1 c fresh pineapple, finely diced
  • 1/2 c red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1/2 c red onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 c cilantro, chopped
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • sea salt
Preparation
Combine the oil, tamari, and honey in bowl and then coat the steak on both sides.  Allow it to marinade for 15-20 minutes (or more).  In the meantime, make the salsa.  Combine pineapple, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, lime, and season with salt to taste.  Refrigerate until you are ready to eat.  Heat the grill to medium-high and cook the steak for about 5 minutes on each side (depending on thickness- for flank steak it may be more like 3 min on each side) to cook it to medium rare.  Remove from the grill and allow the meat to rest for a few minutes.  Then, slice it as thin as you can.  Serve it by topping the steak slices with the salsa and enjoy!

You could eat this as a whole meal, but I also sauteed some mushrooms as a side (I have a thing about needing multiple items on a plate).  We had a lot of steak leftover so I will be reusing that for more meals this week.  You could also make the salsa with other meat/poultry or even by itself for a snack.  Enjoy it however you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment