Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Paleo Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I really love Asian lettuce wraps.  Ever since I had them at PF Changs for the first time many years ago, I have been obsessed.  So a while back (in my pre-Paleo days), I found a PF Changs copy-cat recipe online and I made it a couple times.  They are delicious and taste very close to what you would get at the restaurant!  So since they are actually Paleo (with only tiny changes), I thought they would be perfect to make- all I really had to adjust were the sauce ingredients.  This recipe took little time and effort (and only one pan- win!) and tasted great.  Here is what I did:

Paleo Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
(serves 2 with leftovers)
  • 3 T tamari sauce
  • 2 T raw honey
  • 1/2 t rice wine vinegar
  • 1 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 T sesame oil
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed to 1/2″
  • 1/2 c mushrooms, finely diced
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, finely diced
  • large leaves of iceberg lettuce (or nappa cabbage to be even healthier)
  • 1/4 c cashews, chopped into bits
Preparation
Make the stir fry sauce by mixing tamari sauce, honey, and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Set it aside.  Place a large skillet or wok on the stove over high heat and add the oils.  Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir it around until the pink disappears.  Turn the heat down to medium-high and add all the veggies (except the lettuce) and add the stir fry sauce.  Stir fry until all the vegetables are cooked, about 4-5 minutes. To serve, scoop the chicken mixture into a lettuce leaf and sprinkle the cashews on top.  Pour some extra sauce over it if you want.
These can get a little messy to eat, but are definitely worth it.  As always, you can sub in/out any vegetables you want.  I chose to add the cashews as a topping to add some crunchy texture to the dish, but if you aren't Paleo you can use crunchy rise noodles too.  If you love PF Changs lettuce wrap, I would definitely recommend trying these!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment