Friday, March 8, 2013

Pork Chops & Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice

Tonight we had another meal from my idol, Pioneer Woman, that I Paleo-ized.  I've made this recipe before a few times, and I've made adjustments to our liking in the past (mainly taking out the heat/spice).  But this time, I made it all Paleo by making a few slight adjustments in the sauce and by using cauliflower for the rice, as I've been doing lately.  This is a really delicious recipe that we always enjoy, and I will admit- I actually preferred the cauliflower to using actual rice in this recipe.  Crazy, I know.  I found that it fried up a little better than rice typically does for me.  So that was a definite plus!  Here is what I did:

Pork Chops & Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice
(makes 3 servings)
  • 1/2 c pineapple spears or chunks (fresh is best!)
  • 3 pork chops (I used bone-in)
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, sliced 
  • 3 T tamari sauce
  • 1/2 T rice wine vinegar
  • 1 T honey
  • 1/2 T sriracha (optional)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c frozen peas (some argue that peas aren't Paleo- don't get me started- so if you are anti-peas, leave them out)
  • 1 T (additional) tamari sauce
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, grated
Preparation
Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.  Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and add them to the pan.  Cook on both sides until they have a golden brown color.  In the meantime, grill or sear pineapple spears/chunks on the grill, a grill pan, or in a skillet until they have color.  Set aside.  Once the chops are done, toss in the sliced onions and work them into the crevices in the pan.  Move the onions around and let them cook for a few minutes, until they soften.  Add the tamari, vinegar, honey, and hot sauce (if using), and stir it around.  Allow the sauce to bubble up until it thickens and the chops are cooked through.  Transfer the pork chops to a bowl/plate, and let the sauce bubble up and cook for another minute.  Pour it over the pork chops and set aside.

To make the fried "rice" add a splash of oil to the same pan and bring it back to medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir, then crack in the egg and stir to scramble it a bit. Add peas, and one more tablespoon of tamari.  Add grated cauliflower and fry it up for a couple of minutes.  Finally, add the pineapple chunks and stir.  To serve, scoop some "rice" on a plate, then top with a pork chop and onions. Drizzle some sauce over the top.



Like I said, this is super delicious and is very Paleo-friendly meal.  I encourage you to use cauliflower to make fried "rice," and I will definitely be doing it again.  I have had a great time making my favorite meals into Paleo versions, and I will continue doing it for sure!  Stay tuned to see what else I come up with!

5 comments:

  1. I will try this one today and this is my first time to use a cauliflower for a Recipes For Stir Fry. My friend told me that this cauliflower is delicious and good for the health. I'm sure my wife will love this because she really loved eating vegetables. This is my first time to cook and I feel nervous, I wish I can cook this right and delicious.

    Recipes For Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. paleo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, excellent post. I'd like to draft like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article. This post has encouraged me to write some posts that I am going to write soon. https://www.bchealthinfo.com/product/3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. pineapple tart singapore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. pineapple tarts singapore

    ReplyDelete