Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Going Out of Town... And Sticking To Paleo!

For the past few days I have been away from home visiting my parents and my friends back in good old Virginia.  It has been wonderful and great to see everyone, BUT it has been a little trying on my Paleo life.  Obviously, I am the only one here living this lifestyle, so everyone else can (and does) eat whatever they want.  That is perfectly fine, it has just been a little tougher trying to figure out what to eat for my meals.  Here are some things I have been experiencing:
  • Traveling:  This one was a bit tough because I knew I wouldn't want to try to hit up an airport food vendor if I got hungry.  So I packed plenty of food for my trip.  I brought a banana, apple slices, almond butter (p.s. I was sure to take that out for security- technically a liquid of sorts), nuts, and a pumpkin muffin.  I had a few hours of travel, so I spread these out throughout the day and the flight.  The hard part was resisting the free pretzels and peanuts on the airplane!  But it was great to have my own Paleo food with me.
  • Breakfast/Lunch at My Parents' House:  First, I have been making eggs every morning for breakfast.  Luckily, there has been no rush in the morning so I have time to do them fried (in olive oil) or poached.  I have been serving them with ham.  I also have been eating bananas, grapes, apples, etc.  It's hard not having my favorites like almond butter (I guess I could have bought some if I wanted), but I am definitely living it up on the meat, eggs, and produce. So far, so good.
  • The Bridal Shower:  I was a little worried about what I would be able to eat there.  (This party was the main reason for my visit and it was great to celebrate one of my good friends!).  Luckily, I was able to eat fruit salad, shrimp (LOTS of it), and meatballs.  And, I won't lie, I indulged in some wine- remember, wine is okay in my version of Paleo!  Sadly, I had to miss out on the cupcakes/cookies/other delicious food, but life goes on!
  • Eating Out: Last night I went out to dinner with some friends, and I knew it would be tough to stay Paleo, since most restaurants don't have "Paleo options."  We went to Big Bowl, where we of course would be eating Asian fare, so I just did my best to avoid grains.  I ate lettuce wraps and then a seafood dish where I requested no rice and a gluten free sauce.  I figured that was the closest I would get to ensuring Paleo without having to ask every single ingredient used.  I really haven't gone out to eat at all during this Paleo challenge, so it was a little tough and it is possible that I wasn't 100% Paleo.  BUT, it was worth it to spend time with my besties!
  • Dinner with the Parents:  The other night my parents made a delicious steak, and we ate broccoli and corn (yes, not exactly Paleo) as our sides.  They were really willing to try a meal with no grains/sugar/etc for me.  Tonight I am planning to make a Paleo meal that my husband and I have already enjoyed, Pork Chops & Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice.  I am sure they will like it, and I can't wait to teach them all about using cauliflower as rice!
So, all-in-all, it has been a little tough watching everyone around me eating delicious non-Paleo foods.  Sitting there last night as my parents indulged in a cheesy pasta dish was a bit rough.  But I know that I only have a few more days to go, and I am happy that I am staying disciplined and staying healthy.  Hopefully other Paleo-ites out there will not be scared to travel or take a trip while living this life.  You just have to be diligent and careful about what you eat, and don't fall into temptation!

Stay tuned for an update later on about how my husband is faring at home alone for 4 days with no wife to cook Paleo meals for him...

No comments:

Post a Comment