Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Paleo Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls

Tonight I decided to make something that I had never tried before, and had never really heard of either.  I came across the idea for cabbage rolls during one of my millions of Paleo recipe searches, and I figured why not try it?  I also wanted to use my slow cooker again since it made for easy prep and easy cleanup (when using a liner).  I decided to use this recipe as a guide, but replace certain items with Paleo-friendly ones, of course.  I actually prepared everything last night since I knew I would be busy today, so all I had to do for dinner was turn on the slow cooker this morning.  Pretty easy!  This meal is definitely healthy and super Paleo, and it tasted pretty good.  My husband and I decided that it wasn't our favorite meal ever, but that it was interesting and tasty.  I think for next time I would add more seasoning or maybe add something else to the sauce.  The meal lacked a bit of flavor and I think could use a kick of something, I just can't put my finger on it right now.  Regardless, it was fun to try something totally new, and I would say it was pretty successful.  Here is what I did:

Paleo Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
(serves about 4)
  • 10 cabba leaves (peel them off the head carefully!)
  • cup cauliflower, grated
  • 1 egg, beaten  
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth  
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 pound ground turkey (or beef- whatever you want to use)
  • salt & pepper 
  • sprinkle of parsley 
  • 1 can tomato sauce 
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preparation
*I did this the night before and would recommend doing that too!*
Boil a pot of water and cook the cabbage leaves for about 2 minutes, until soft.  You may have to do this in batches (I did 2 at a time).  In the meantime, add the cauliflower, egg, broth, onion, turkey, salt & pepper, and parsley to a large bowl and mix it together until it is all mushed up.  Take a scoop of the mixture (about 1/3 c) and place it in the center of a cabbage leaf. Tuck in the sides and roll it up. Repeat this until all the mixture is used.  Place the rolls carefully in crock pot (lined if you want!). The rolls should look like this:


Next, in a small bowl combine the tomato sauce and lemon juice.  Pour it all over top of the rolls, like this:


If you did this ahead of time, place the slow cooker insert into the fridge, covered, overnight.  In the morning, place it in the outer shell and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.  You could also do this on HIGH for 4-5 hours.   When you are ready to serve, just scoop them out and plate them up!


 I would definitely recommend you try these as a great make-ahead meal and as a really healthy dinner.  You may want to experiment with the spices and seasoning and try to give it a little more flavor if you wish.  Either way, you will enjoy these rolls, and you'll really love the cleanup!

No comments:

Post a Comment