Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Grilled Chicken Kebabs & Cauliflower Rice Pilaf

So, it might be obvious that we are on this kick where we grill every night.  Well, this has to do with the fact that a) it is kind of nice weather out these days (aka not snowing) and b) we still can't really use water aka can't really clean dishes.  Regardless, I love chicken kebabs on the grill.  We have made them in my family for a long time, and they are super delicious!  I had to adjust our typical marinade a little bit, but it still tasted great.  For the side, I went with cauliflower rice pilaf, which I have made before and really love. I'm telling you, we are really starting to become fond of cauliflower!  It's amazing.  Well, anyway, I hope you will try out this recipe even if your house isn't a plumbing disaster like mine is!  Here is what I did:

Grilled Chicken Kebabs & Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
(serves 3-4)
  • 2 chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T tamari sauce
  • 1 T pineapple juice (or you could use honey)
  • 1 zucchini, thickly sliced
  • 1 bell pepper (I used green), cut into chunks
  • 1/2 red onion, cut into thick wedges and layers separated
  • handful of mushrooms (white or cremini)
  • 1/2 head cauliflower, grated
  • 1 T olive oil (additional)
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c chicken broth
Preparation
First, make the marinade for the chicken. Combine oil, tamari, and pineapple juice in a bowl and add the chicken chunks.  Allow to marinade for about 15 minutes.  To make the kebabs, grab some skewers and your chopped veggies and chicken.  I like to just kind of alternate chicken, onion, veggie, chicken, etc until all my skewers are about even (I used 4 skewers).  Make sure everything is on there nice and snug.  Heat the grill to medium-high, and grill the skewers for about 10-12 minutes total, while rotating occasionally. 

While the meat is grilling, start the pilaf by heating 1 T oil in a skillet over medium-high.  Add the chopped onion and allow to cook until just translucent.  Add the cauliflower and fry until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes.  Just before you serve, pour in the broth and allow the "rice" to soak it up while stirring for about a minute.  To serve, pile some "rice" on the plate and top with the meat and veggies you pulled off the skewers!

 
I just love the flavor combinations of all the veggies and the chicken marinade, and it all tastes really delicious together.  I hope you try it out and enjoy it, too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment