Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

So I know that sweet potatoes are one of those "questionable" foods while living Paleo, but I have already decided they are okay for us.  They say that if you are trying to lose weight, then stay away, but if you are just trying to eat Paleo they are fine.  Plus, I had one in my kitchen that was probably about to go bad, so I had to use it.  Since I was making ribs for dinner and typically I would make corn on the cob as the main side (but corn is NOT Paleo), I had to find something else.  I've already made sweet potato fries, so this time I wanted to try them mashed.

These were SO easy to make.  I am sure I could have done something more exciting, but this was flavorful enough for us and still delicious.  And Paleo friendly!  Here is what I did:

Mashed Sweet Potatoes
(serves 2-3)
  • 1 large sweet potato (or 2 medium/small ones)
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 t coconut oil
Preparation
Peel the potato(es) and cut into chunks.  Place them in a pot and cover with water.  Add some salt to the water.  Bring the pot to a boil, then lower the temperature to medium and allow the potatoes to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.  Once you can easily break a chunk apart with a spoon/fork, they are ready.  Drain the water but keep the potato chunks in the pot. Add the coconut oil and salt & pepper to taste, and mash them up with a spoon or a masher.  That's it!

You can add any other flavors you want, but this is a great basic recipe.  They are really moist and have great natural flavor.  This is a super simple recipe and is a great easy side.  Hope you try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment