Friday, March 1, 2013

Almond Cream "Cheese" Spread

So the other day on Pinterest I found this recipe for Almond Cream "Cheese" that was supposed to be like a Paleo version of cheese.  Desperately missing my cheese, I wondered if this would really be a replacement for cheese.  I decided to try it out for myself to hopefully find my miracle Paleo-friendly cheese!  Well, I tried it and the consensus is: it isn't really all that much like cheese.  Don't get me wrong, it tastes great and is sort of cheese-like, but if you want good old cheddar & mozzarella that you can eat while doing Paleo, look elsewhere.  And then tell me when you find it!

Regardless, I really like this as a veggie dip.  I actually packed this for lunch with some cucumber and bell pepper slices, and it was a great way for me to get more veggies into my diet.  It's pretty soft (like cream cheese, but maybe an even softer consistency) and you really cannot tell that you are eating almonds, which is pretty cool.  I took the basic recipe and added herbs to make it pair with veggies, but I would also try to add honey instead for a sweeter treat (maybe with apple slices).  Here is what I did:


Almond Cream "Cheese" Spread
(makes about 1 cup)
  • 1 cup blanched almonds (I used blanched almond flour to bypass the almond-grinding step, but whole almonds are fine too as long as you blanch them!)
  • 1/3 c filtered water (you might even use less to make it a bit firmer)
  • 1/2 t sea salt
  • 1 t apple cider vinegar
  • 1 t lemon juice
  • 1 t dried parsley
  • 1 t dried basil
  • 1 t dried oregano
  • 1 t dried chives 
Preparation
In your trusty food processor, blend together blanched almonds (or almond flour), water, salt, vinegar, and lemon juice.  Blend until smooth.  If you start with whole almonds, this may take a few minutes, but with flour it is pretty quick.  Add the herbs and give it another quick mix.  I would recommend chilling it in the fridge for a while to allow it to firm up a bit before serving.  Or, just eat it right away if you are impatient. 

  • 1 c. Raw Almonds
  • 1/3 - 1/2 c. Filtered Water
  • 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
  • - See more at: http://fastpaleo.com/almond-cream-cheese/#sthash.iaq5C7Ar.dpuf
  • 1 c. Raw Almonds
  • 1/3 - 1/2 c. Filtered Water
  • 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
  • - See more at: http://fastpaleo.com/almond-cream-cheese/#sthash.iaq5C7Ar.dpuf
    That's it!  Really easy and fast (if you start with almond flour like I did).  If you try it, let me know what you think- does it compare to cheese??

    No comments:

    Post a Comment