Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Paleo Barbecue Sauce

Tonight for dinner I made ribs, which has been one of our favorite meals since I started making them last summer.  For my ribs, I always make my own barbecue sauce for basting them.  Well, unfortunately the recipe I usually use is not 100% Paleo friendly (mainly that it is ketchup-based).  Now, I know I could just use ketchup since it's not SO bad, but I figured why not make my own Paleo version?  I couldn't really find a recipe online that looked amazing, so I did my best to Paleo-ize the recipe I usually make.  It was a bit of trial and error (especially since I don't often use tomato paste so I don't know the consistency very well), but I eventually came up with something delicious!  This is a pretty basic barbecue sauce- nothing too fancy- but is definitely great and tasted awesome with the ribs!  Here is what I did:


Paleo Barbecue Sauce
(makes about 1 cup)
  • 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 c water
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T raw honey
  • 2 t salt
  • 1 t onion powder
  • 1 t ground black pepper
  • 1 t dry mustard
  • 1 t lemon juice
In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients over medium heat.  Once everything is well combined, turn the heat down to low.  Let it simmer for as long as you want, but at least 20-30 minutes.  Use on ribs or whatever else you want to eat!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment