Sunday, March 3, 2013

Take 2: Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

If you have read my previous post, Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies, you'll know that we really love chocolate chip cookies in this house.  You'll also know that my first attempt at making Paleo chocolate chip cookies was fairly successful, very delicious, but super messy.  So I wanted to try again with a different recipe and see how they would turn out- hopefully better than the first time!

Well, it was much better.  However, I still haven't mastered it yet- they weren't exactly what I hoped for.  But hey, it's only been two tries so far...  I used this recipe as a guide because it included almond flour- in the hopes that they would be a better (less messy/gooey) consistency.  That worked for sure. However, there are still some changes I am thinking about making, and hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm!  Here is what I did:

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 2 dozen)
  • 1 1/2 c almond flour
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t sea salt
  • 2 T coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 1/4 raw honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life if you are hard core Paleo)
Preparation
Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) in a large bowl or Kitchen Aid mixer.  Mix wet ingredients (oil, vanilla, honey, and egg) together in a small bowl.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and mix until combined.  Add the chips, stir, and put the dough into the refrigerator.  Let it chill for at least 30 minutes. 

Once it is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper, and scoop dough into balls onto the baking sheet.  Smaller is better.  Bake for 9-10 minutes or until they turn golden brown.  Remove and allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes.  Remove to a rack until cool.  Store in an airtight container.


For the Future
Like I said, these cookies were very successful and I had little to no trouble transferring them to the cooling rack (the parchment paper may have helped with that).  They taste great and the consistency is good.  The thing I didn't expect was that these cookies spread out a lot.  Like, a LOT.  Like, one side of the sheet ended up as one big cookie blob.  So first of all, next time I am going to make them smaller.  Second, I am going to try some recipe changes to make them thicker and less spread-y.  Here are my plans:
  • not melting the oil- I think that makes them spread too much, so I will use softened oil instead
  • adding baking powder- I think this may help make them rise rather than flatten
  • chilling the dough longer- the firmer the dough, the less spreading
Let me know if you have other suggestions or if you have a recipe that makes perfect Paleo cookies already!  Hope this serves as a good starter recipe for you, and stay tuned for my next attempt in the coming weeks.

  • 1 1/2 cups sifted blanched almond flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt

  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (melted, not softened)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
  • - See more at: http://fastpaleo.com/the-best-paleo-chocolate-chip-cookies/#sthash.oiYTegjx.dpuf

    No comments:

    Post a Comment