Thursday, February 21, 2013

Apple & Onion Topped Pork Chops with Asparagus

We had pork chops a lot growing up, and one of the sides we typically paired with them was apple sauce.  They just seem to go so nicely together.  So lately I have been making a more "sophisticated" version I guess you could say.  I've made this before, and it really is easy and delicious.  I decided to make asparagus as a side rather than my typical rice/noodles/something grain.  Asparagus is one of those vegetables that I refused to even touch until probably last year, but once I tried it, I realized that I really liked it, and it's really simple to make.  So here's what I did:

Apple & Onion Topped Pork Chops
(Served the 2 of us with a bit leftover)
  • 3-4 pork chops (I used bone-in, but boneless work too)
  • 1 apple, thinly sliced (I used Gala)
  • 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 T olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/4-1/2 c chicken broth
  • 1 T honey
Preparation
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil.  Once it is hot, season the pork chops with salt and pepper and place them into the skillet.  Cook them for about 4 minutes on each side, or until they have browned up a bit.  Remove them to a plate and keep warm.  Use that same skillet, but turn the heat down to medium-low.  Toss in the onions, apple slices, and the thyme.  Season with more salt and pepper if you would like.  Stir occasionally and allow them to soften and cook down, at least 5 minutes.  If you have more patience than I do, turn the heat down low and allow them to caramelize for 10-15 minutes.  Once they are cooked to your liking, add the chicken broth and honey and stir it around.  Add the pork chops back into the pan and cover.  Allow it all to cook together for about 5 more minutes until chops are cooked through.  To serve, place a pork chop on the plate and top it with the apples/onions mixture.  Serve it up with roasted asparagus!

Roasted Asparagus
  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
(feel free to add any other variations you want: lemon, garlic, parmesan if you eat dairy, etc)

Preparation
Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Trim off the bottoms of the asparagus stalks and arrange them flat on a roasting pan.  Drizzle olive oil over top and sprinkle salt and pepper all over them.  Roast in the oven for about 12 minutes.   



This meal was delicious and we will definitely have it again!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment