Friday, February 15, 2013

Bacon & Egg "Muffins"

I've seen this idea of making bacon & egg "muffins" on Pinterest a lot, and I've always been interested in trying it out.  Well, now that I am desperate for a cereal alternative for breakfast, I guess it's as good a time as any!

I found some general guidelines online and then did my own spin.  Typically, I would load these bad-boys up with some cheese.  Sadly, not an option right now. So instead I went with other add-ins that will make them more delicious and nutritious!

Here's what I used:
  • 12 slices of bacon (1 per cup)
  • 10 eggs 
  • sea salt & pepper
  • a handful of mushrooms, chopped
  • a handful of spinach, chopped
So how do you make these? Easy.  First, grab a cupcake pan.  Some people grease the pan, but I feel like with all the bacon grease that will develop, it seems unnecessary.  Next, place a bacon strip into each cup to kind of outline the "muffin."  Next, mix up the rest of the ingredients and pour some into each cup!  Hint: I used a batter-pourer that you would use for cupcake batter, and it made pouring really easy.  Finally, pop them into a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

Once they are out of the oven, let them cool in the pan for a few minutes.  To remove them, I took a knife and cut around the edges of each one to loosen them, and most of them popped out pretty easily.  (If you grease the pan they will likely slide right out).

Since I am going to use mine for daily breakfasts, I froze them.  First, I put them all on a plate (you could use a cookie sheet) and popped it in the freezer to freeze them individually for about 10-15 minutes.  Then I put them all into a Ziploc bag and stashed them away in the freezer.  Now all we need to do is grab one in the morning, heat it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, and have a nutritious Paleo breakfast!

I think they look pretty good!  Things never live up to their appearance on Pinterest, but I am happy with them:






1 comment:

  1. perusing this tempting recipe
    it seems like the final photo versions fluffiness was achieved by separating the egg whites from the yolks. beat egg whites into stiff peaks, cream egg yols separately, fold in egg whites & then carefully veggies...over mixing will get rid of the air bubbles in the egg whites.

    ReplyDelete