Saturday, October 5, 2013

Paleo Sausage-Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

This is another recipe I found through Pinterest and it looked interesting enough that I had to try it!  The original recipe was Paleo to start, but I decided to make some adjustments, mainly based on what I had around the house. I have been craving sausage and mushrooms a lot lately (probably because I associate them with the Fall!), so this looked perfect.  Plus, stuffed mushrooms are one of those things that sound and look really fancy, but are actually super simple.  And, Portabellas are so meaty and filling that they make for a really hearty meal.  So overall, this was a great dinner. Here is what I did:

Paleo Sausage-Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
(serves 2)
  • 2 large Portabella mushroom caps
  • 1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 c kale, chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 t dried basil (or use fresh)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil
Preparation
Heat oven to 400.  Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove.  Cook the sausage and garlic until cooked through.  Add the kale, tomato, basil, salt, and pepper and cook until all the kale is cooked down.  Remove from heat.

Remove stems from mushroom caps, and rub the caps in olive oil.  Place the caps open-side up on a baking pan/sheet.  Fill each cap with half of the sausage mixture- try to fit it all in there, or else cook it on the side.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and browned.

Serve these up alone, or as a (hearty) side to something else.  One stuffed cap each was enough of a meal for my husband and I.  I'm sure you will love this simple and delicious Fall-inspired meal!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment