Saturday, October 12, 2013

Paleo Stuffed Acorn Squash

So apparently I am really into stuffed vegetables these days.  The other day I made Sausage-Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms, and this time I went for Stuffed Acorn Squash.  A few days back when I was at the grocery store I picked up an acorn squash, not really knowing much about them.  I have used a ton of other squashes, especially lately, but the acorn squash has always intrigued me.  I found this recipe idea on Pinterest, and I knew I could make it Paleo! Turns out, acorn squash also works great with Fall flavors, especially sausage and mushrooms.  It is a bit sweeter than other squashes, and gets really tender and delicious when baked.  It was definitely perfect for stuffing, and I look forward to trying other recipes with this new (to me) squash!  Here is what I did:

Paleo Stuffed Acorn Squash
(serves 2)
  • 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 t ground sage, divided
  • 1/2 lb bulk mild sausage
  • 1/4 c onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c celery, chopped
  • 2 oz mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 c apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1/3 c almond flour
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 egg white, beaten
Preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place squash halves cut-side up on a baking sheet.  In a small dish, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon of sage. Using a pastry brush, brush the mixture all over each squash half.  Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until tender.

While the squash is roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat on the stove.  Add the sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until meat is cooked through. Remove meat to a bowl and place the pan back on the burner.  Keep the grease in the pan, and if needed, add another splash of olive oil.  Add the onion, celery, and mushrooms to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the apples and cook for an additional 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat and add the cooked veggies to the sausage in the bowl. Add the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of sage and the almond flour.  Season with salt & pepper to taste. Add the egg white and stir until well combined.
When the squash halves are finished roasting, evenly pile the sausage stuffing into the two halves. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, until browned.
These are great and filling enough to serve as your whole dinner.  Be sure to dig out all the tender squash, but don't eat the outer shell!  (Or I guess you could, I've never tried...). Even though all-told this meal takes about an hour to make, it is super easy, looks fancy, and tastes amazing. Try it and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment