Saturday, September 7, 2013

Paleo Zucchini Hash Browns

This week I had a major craving for zucchini and summer squash, but I was looking for new and different ways to make it.  I saw a post a while back about making hash browns with squash instead of potatoes, and I had to try it.  I found this recipe, and it was already good to go to be Paleo, so I went with it.  I made slight adjustments, mainly by using a mixture of zucchini and summer squash, and it was wonderful.  Of course, it would also be great with just one or the other.  This was a really easy and yummy side dish, and it could work for any time of day, breakfast to dinner, which is awesome.  Here is what I did:
 
Paleo Zucchini Hash Browns
(makes about 6)
  • 1/2 large zucchini, shredded
  • 1/2 summer squash, shredded
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1 t onion powder
  • sea salt & pepper
  • 1 T olive oil

Preparation
To prep the squash, toss the shredded bits into a colander and toss with a sprinkle of salt.  Let sit for a few minutes, then squeeze out excess moisture.  (This makes them crispier when you fry them up).  In a large bowl, mix the zucchini/squash, eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, and a dash of salt & pepper.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Drop the zucchini "batter" by spoonfuls onto the hot skillet.  (This is a lot like making pancakes!)  Brown on one side, then flip to brown on the other side (about 2 minutes per side).  Add more oil to the pan between batched if necessary.  Eat them up!

These were delicious.  Like, one of my favorite side dishes in a while.  I served these with some spiced tilapia, and it was a great meal.  I think these would be wonderful with breakfast too, since they are basically your typical hash browns, just a LOT healthier. I will definitely be making these again and I recommend you try them out.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment