Saturday, September 14, 2013

Paleo Slow Cooker Pork Barbecue

So this was a really busy week, and because of that, I wanted a slow cooker meal for at least one dinner.  I love slow cooker meals because you can prep them in about 15 minutes the night before, and they are pretty much ready to eat the next night when you are ready for dinner.  I bought a big pork shoulder at the store last weekend, so I wanted to make pork barbecue (plus, I was having a craving for it!).  After checking out some recipes online, I decided to just use one of my other meals as inspiration- my Paleo Ribs.  I figured, they are both pork and cooked in the crock pot, so they could definitely use a similar rub.  Well, I think it worked out perfectly!  This was so fast to prep and tasted so delicious.  Make it for a small family or a big crowd- it will be sure to please.  Here is what I did:

Paleo Slow Cooker Pork Barbecue
(serves 3-4)
  • 2 1/2 lb pork shoulder, cut into chunks (I cut a 5 lb shoulder in half, but use it all for more servings!)
  • 1 T paprika
  • 1 1/2 t salt
  • 3/4 t cumin
  • 1/2 t ground black pepper
  • 1/4 t cayenne pepper (or more if wanted) 
  • optional: homemade Paleo barbecue sauce
Preparation
The night before (or even the morning of), combine rub ingredients in a small bowl: paprika, salt, cumin, and peppers.  Rub all over the chunks of pork to coat them completely.  Place in slow cooker bowl and refrigerate overnight or until ready to use.  The next day, cook in the slow cooker on LOW for 7-8 hours, or as long as you want.  Or, you can cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours.

Right before you are ready to serve, take two forks and shred the pork right in the slow cooker.  This will keep the shredded pork in the juices and keep it all warm too.  If you want, feel free to add some Paleo Barbecue Sauce for some extra sauciness.  Serve with Paleo Coleslaw and any other delicious Paleo side you might want.

Again, this was SO easy and fast, and my husband and I both gobbled it up.  It would be a great Paleo option for a gathering or party too (great for football season!).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment