Friday, June 7, 2013

Almond Flour Pizza Crust (Paleo!)

Tonight I wanted to make one of our favorite pizzas, Steak Pizza.  I made this as a Paleo meal before, but instead of a typical crust I used portabella mushrooms.  Now, that was delicious, but sometimes you just want a nice crispy crust with your pizza!  So I decided to come up with a Paleo-friendly pizza crust.  This recipe is actually based off of my Paleo breadsticks recipe that I made before, as I used the same basic ingredients. The difference comes in the shaping and baking of the dough, of course.  It was pretty easy, and came out nice and crispy!  Of course, if you want a nice chewy/fluffy crust like you might get at Domino's, this won't be that.  But for a gluten-free crust, it is pretty darn good!  Here is what I did:

Almond Flour Pizza Crust
(makes one pizza)
  • 1 1/2 c almond flour
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 T coconut flour
  • olive oil (extra)
Preparation
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  In a bowl, combine almond flour, sea salt, and 1 T olive oil.  In a small bowl, whisk the 2 eggs together.  Add the whisked eggs to the almond flour mixture, and combine well.  The dough should get wet and sticky.  Add 1 T coconut flour, stir, and let it sit for a minute.  Then add another 1 T coconut flour, stir, and let sit for a minute.  The dough should be stiff and able to roll into a ball.

Prepare your baking surface.  I used a cast iron round pizza pan covered with parchment paper (foil on one side, parchment on the other).  You can use any kind of baking sheet, but I highly recommend you cover it with parchment!  Scoop your dough onto the middle of the pan, and use your fingers to spread it out.  It will be sticky, so I recommend you dip your fingers in olive oil periodically to keep the dough from sticking to them.  Spread it out as far as you can, and make it fairly thin.  It should fill the round pizza pan if you are using one.

Bake for 5 minutes with no toppings to allow it to crisp up. Then, add your sauce/toppings and bake for another 5 minutes. Since I did not use cheese (not Paleo!), I am not sure how that would affect the baking time, but it was perfect for just sauce and veggies. (Note: I am a failure at picture taking and forgot to snap one of the pizza crust before I added toppings... oops)
This crust is super yummy and was great with the Steak Pizza!  Here is our finished product- doesn't it just make your mouth water?!  Even without cheese, this pizza rocked.  Try this crust recipe with other pizza toppings too and see how you like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment