Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Almond-Crusted Tilapia

Tonight for dinner I needed to make something indoors, since our April blizzard was beginning... So I went with tilapia, which I made a few weeks back, but I did something a little different this time.  I really enjoy using panko to "bread" tilapia, so I thought I may as well try using almond flour instead of panko to make a similar crust.  I have used this recipe before, and I really like the spices and the coating, so I decided to make it tonight.  Subbing almond meal for the panko was good- it is not going to be as light/airy as panko of course, but it was still a nice texture and the fish tasted great.  Here is what I did:

Almond-Crusted Tilapia
(serves 2-3)
  • 2-3 tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1-2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 c almond meal/flour 
  • 1 1/2 t dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 t black pepper
  • 3/4 t nutmeg
  • 1/2 t ginger
  • 1/2 t paprika
  • 1/2 crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 T olive oil (additional) 
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a shallow dish, combine 1 T olive oil, garlic powder, and lemon juice.  In another shallow dish/plate, combine almond flour and the rest of the dry ingredients.  Mix it up until well combined. Heat 2 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Coat each fillet with the oil/lemon mixture, then with the flour mixture.  Try to get them as coated as possible!  Once oil is hot, add the flour- coated fillets.  Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are brown on each side.  Be very careful when flipping them over, as the fish can flake easily.  Once they are brown on both sides, either transfer them to a baking dish to place in the oven, or move the skillet to the oven.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until they flake with a fork.  Be sure not to overcook!  Serve immediately.

I served this with butternut squash (that I have made before) and a salad.  It was a tasty meal and very healthy too!  If you like panko, it won't be the same, but it will definitely taste almost as great :)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment