Thursday, April 25, 2013

Paleo Coconut Chicken Crispers

This meal tonight happened because of 2 factors: 1) I realized I have almost no food/fresh produce in the house somehow, and 2) After weeks of looking for unsweetened coconut flakes in every grocery store (unsuccessfully), I FINALLY found them at Natural Grocers the other day and bought a bag, so of course I wanted to use that.  So, what else was there to make but coconut-breaded chicken?? This is a lot like other "breaded" items I have made, but had a bit of a different texture/taste and was really delicious.  It was also super easy!  Here is what I did:

Paleo Coconut Chicken Crispers
(serves 2-4)
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1/4 c coconut flour
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c (or more) unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t black pepper
Preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice chicken breasts into thin slices.  You can pound the chicken to make it thinner, or I sliced the breasts in half to make them thinner.  Then I cut them into chicken finger-like pieces.  In a bowl/dish, combine coconut flour with onion powder and garlic powder.  In a different bowl, whisk the egg.  In a dish/plate, combine the coconut with salt and pepper.  I set up a bit of an assembly line to bread them.  First, dip the chicken in the flour mixture, then into the egg, and finally into the coconut flakes until they are nice and coated.  Place the strips on a baking sheet (lined with parchment for easy cleanup), making sure they are not touching.  Put the sheet in the oven and bake for 10-20 minutes, depending on thickness of the strips.  I also turned mine over about halfway through to brown both sides. They should be done when they look like this:


I served these with Sweet Potato Fries and Paleo Ketchup for dipping, but you could use Paleo Barbecue Sauce as well.  If you like the texture of coconut, these are perfect, and it was a nice creative meal- something I never tried before!  For not having much in the house, this was a great dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment