Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Paleo Meatloaf (Extra Meaty!)

Tonight we really needed some comfort food.  Again.  We are in the middle of yet another April snowstorm, it is really cold and miserable outside, and there is a lot of bad stuff going on across the country today.  So, meatloaf it is!  I actually really like meatloaf, even though sometimes it gets a bad rap.  I have made a version from my favorite blogger the Pioneer Woman before that is really good and involves bacon, which of course is ideal.  So I wanted to incorporate bacon into my meatloaf, but a different way.  It is optional, but gives it a little more flavor and meatiness.  Now, the one issue with most meatloaf recipes is that they use bread/breadcrumbs and milk, so I had to make some substitutions of course.  All-in-all, this tasted delicious and was a Paleo success! Here is what I did:

Paleo Meatloaf (Extra Meaty!)
(serves 2-3)
  • 1/2 c almond flour
  • 1/4 c almond milk
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 onion, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 1/4 seasoned salt
  • 1/4 t black pepper
  • 2 T (2 cooked slices) bacon, chopped (optional, but recommended!)
  • 1 c Paleo ketchup
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add almond milk and almond flour to a mixing bowl and allow them to soak together for a few minutes.  Add ground beef, onion, egg, salt, seasoned salt, pepper, and bacon bits and mix it all together.  I like to just dig right in with my hands!  Once it is all nice and combined, grab a loaf pan and mold the mixture in to the pan.  OR just line a baking sheet/pan with foil and make a loaf shape out of the mixture right on there.  It will look like this: 


Then, coat the top with about 1/3 c ketchup, or at least enough to cover it.  Bake for about 30 minutes, then remove from the oven, pour on another 1/3 c of ketchup to cover it again, and put it back in the oven for 15 more minutes.  It will look like this:


Once it is all done baking, pour the remaining 1/3 c of ketchup over top and you are ready to serve!  I sliced mine into chunks and served it with my Mashed Sweet Potatoes.  It tasted delicious!  I highly recommend you try this recipe if you are looking for some wonderful and Paleo-friendly comfort food.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment