Sunday, April 21, 2013

Paleo Brat Kebabs

A miracle happened today- the temperature outside actually got into the 50's!  Being that it is almost May, this shouldn't be THAT big of a deal, but considering it is going to snow AGAIN tomorrow, this was pretty amazing.  The point is, I decided to grill out tonight since the weather was nice.  I guess this isn't the most inventive recipe in the world, but I did find it via Pinterest and the recipe seemed pretty basic and easy to make Paleo.  This meal was very similar to the Chicken Kebabs that I made a while back, and like most kebabs, you can really use whatever veggies you want- I used what I had on hand, but if I had things like mushrooms and other bell peppers, I would have used those too. But here is what I did:

Paleo Brat Kebabs
(serves about 4)
  • 6 brats/sausages
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped into large chunks
  • 1 carrot, chopped into large chunks
  • 1/4 onion, chopped into large chunks
  • about 4 cups water
  • 1 large (or 2 small) zucchini, chopped into chunks
  • 1 bell pepper (I used yellow), chopped into chunks
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped into chunks
  • 1/2 - 1 c Paleo barbecue sauce 
Preparation
First, prep the brats.  Grab a large stock pot and place the brats, celery, carrot, and onion in it.  Fill it with water high enough to cover it all.  Heat the pot over medium-high or high until it starts to boil, then turn down the heat to medium-low and allow it to simmer for about 20-30 minutes.  Try not to let it boil too much.  (P.S. If you are non-Paleo and want to make these even better, we usually use beer instead of water and the brats turn out amazing!).  Once they are cooked, pull them out of the pot and allow them to cool to the touch.  Cut up the brats into chunks- I got 5 chunks from each brat. 

At this point, turn on the grill to medium-high heat.  Grab some skewers to make the kebabs. Alternate the brats, zucchini, pepper, and red onion onto the skewers.  Right before they go on the grill, baste them with the barbecue sauce all over.  As you grill, you may want to baste them each time you turn them as well.  Grill for about 7-10 minutes.  The meat will already be cooked, so just make sure the veggies char up a bit.  Take them off the grill and serve them up!


I served these alongside the Cauliflower Rice Pilaf I have made before, and it was a delicious meal!  I think kebabs are super easy to make, and are so versatile as you can really use whatever meat/veggies/sauce you have on hand.  I hope you try this out and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment